Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Fresh Roasted Coffee And a Video

I'm thankful and happy for this continuing cool weather we're having. It's the type of weather which makes me a bit more creative. I tend to want to do more hands on projects when the days are cool. So today being overcast and cloudy, my Sweetie and I decided we should roast some more coffee, because our canister was running a bit low. That and the possibility of rain coming in later in the day and even possibly tomorrow, prompted us to make good use of the day at hand- since we have to do the roasting outside. To demonstate I even made a short video!

This was our fourth batch of coffee which we home roast, and I like to think we've become very adept at it. In any case, we do enjoy our freshly brewed pots of coffee, freshly ground with our grinder. All the more so when the coffee is freshly roasted. So I decided to upload a video of the process. This is actually the second video, but the first was just a short few seconds, with the process not really shown. I think this video is a bit more detailed. Hope it is helpful to anyone who wants to try roasting their own coffee.


We ordered our green coffee beans from Burman Coffee. They list a very good variety of beans. I selected their dark bundle combo because we enjoy a dark French roast. This latest batch they sent us was from three different estates than the last combo, but is also for dark roasting. I'm pretty certain that even though it's made for the dark roast, you can also roast it to what is called a regular 'city' roast. I've found that really, coffee roasting is more about finding the 'color' that you like. Since we always bought our beans whole and for a French roast at the store, we figured we'd just roast to 'that' same color. This system has worked for us.


It may sound intimidating, but it's so easy, I just wish we had done this earlier. Truth be told, I had the green beans in the pantry for over a year before I finally mustered up the courage to give roasting a try. And as I explain in the video, all we needed was the whirly pop pan which I purchased at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for under $15 and with the 20% off coupon, got it at a good price. We also use a timer to get a sense of how much time elapses or must elapse to begin really watching the beans for the desired roast. The third item is a colander- or rather two colanders. You'll need them to pour your beans into from the whirly pop so they can begin to cool down and also to remove the debris and chaff.  It's probably best to watch the video to get a sense of how really simple and easy the whole process is. As to the amounts used, I merely measure out one cup of green beans from each of the three bags in the combo for a total of three cups of green beans. Once they roast the beans expand a great deal and you end up with a lot of coffee- enough to fill a medium size canister. The coffee lasts us about a week and a half more or less. We only drink a mug of coffee twice a day. So this amount works for us. It's also nice that our coffee is never more than a couple of weeks old. Doesn't get fresher than that! I think it ends up tasting better than the popular coffee shop fare. Hope you decide to give it a try. It's not only delicious, but oh so much fun to make!


6 comments:

Gloria said...

Oh wow!! What a great post yaya! I remember your post when you bought the beans and how exciting it was. I love fresh coffee beans. We don't have fresh like you but we do use coffee beans for our coffee and a dark roast too. How exciting and what fun it is to do that. Some day I may give that a try. Excellent! Hope you enjoy your extra fresh cups of coffee tomorrow. Ayeeee mujer, estoy celosa. Did I spell that right? tee hee. Wow!! I really enjoyed the video. I've missed your posting, glad you are back, even if it's just for a little while.

YayaOrchid said...

Thank you Gloria! And I love having you stop by to comment. :) Hope you do try roasting some coffee. REally good stuff!

Gloria said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. If it's okay with you I'm going to post a link on my sidebar to this post because it's pretty interesting. I'll leave it up for a couple of days. Great post. Take care. Oh, I'm making mole today with that Hatch chili and arroz. Take care. Oh yeah, homemade tortillas.

Marx said...

Read a lot of blogs specially interesting ones like your blog, Good post! I accidentally found your site on the internet, I am going to be coming back here yet again.Love Information Is Beautiful. Keep posting!

- Marx of web design

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, that would be great if you post the link- thank you! Mmm, mole and flour tortillas! Sounds divine! Wish I could visit you and share a meal with you!

YayaOrchid said...

Marx, thank you for your comment and for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music